Saturday, July 06, 2013

In a '94 Hatchback, Everyone Can Hear You Scream

What a beautiful morning.  After a week of blistering heat, Southern California has finally cooled down to a tolerable climate.  I slept well, which is a rarity for me these days.  The only thing missing from making it the perfect morning was the lack of breakfast.  Foodless in Ontario needed to go to the grocery store.  And that's exactly what I decided to do.

I grabbed my keys and went out to my car.  I opened the door and sat in the driver's seat.  I went to turn on my car but was distracted by something on the dash board directly across from the passenger seat.  There was a thick web that connected from my passenger seat to my glove compartment (A.D.D. Note: why do we still call it that?).

I stared at the web as if I've never seen a spider web before.  In my defense, this is the first time I've ever seen one in my car.  I swiped at the webbing and that's when I saw it.  It was resting at the corner of my dash and darted into my glove compartment.  It moved so fast that I wasn't able to get a look at this "spider."  All I know is that it was big and fast.  I held back screaming like a child, but my arms flailed back like a person who just found out the stove was on, the hard way.

It was too thick to be a daddy long legs, but it did possess that color and size.  My mind right away pictured the facehugger from the Alien franchise.

I froze for a few seconds while the phrase, "Do I really want to do this?," replayed in my head like a broken record.  By the time I gained the misplaced courage to open the the glove compartment, Facehugger Spider was no where to be found.  Possibly hiding underneath my car insurance forms.  I wasn't going to fight this spider when it clearly had the surprise element advantage.

I proceeded with my early morning plan and drove to the grocery store.  Along with my hidden passenger.  The creature never emerged.  I'll wait for tonight, when it begins to rebuild its web.  Homo Sapien vs. Arachnid (or alien).

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully it's not a Huntsman. You guys have those there right? Sick. Best reason to move to the midwest.

    ReplyDelete